I helped celebrate my Divorce Twin's birthday on Saturday. I was nursing a wicked hang over from Friday night's self inflicted bombing. But I managed to pull myself together enough to take a shower, blow dry my hair, put on make up (!), and throw on some heels (!!). Ironically, the heels I wore were the same pair I wore on my wedding day. They turned out to be incredibly uncomfortable - just like my marriage.
We started out at DT's apartment for some pre-club drinks and snacks. I brought along 4 of my friends and a raging head ache. (Damn you sweet sparkling wine!) At first I felt a bit out of place. Which is weird because I knew practically everyone there. I think it was partly due to the head ache, and partly due to having spent the last 2 years cowering in corners at parties so as not to give Simon any reason to yell at me for supposedly making googly eyes at other men. I shit you not, no matter where we were, no matter what we were doing, Simon almost always accused me of "checking out hot guys". You have no idea how many parties, dinners, karaoke nights and walks to the grocery store I've had to cut short because of his insane behaviour.
The club of choice, Up Lounge, right in the heart of the Toronto entertainment district. The group I ended up with had a bit of difficulty actually finding the place. It was wedged in between two big restaurants and the sign was inconspicuously on the side of its entrance. So we spent about 15 minutes just walking back and forth along John Street. That gave me lots of time to see all the beautiful people hanging around on the sidewalk, waiting for their beautiful friends to show up so they could all go to the club and be beautiful together.
We managed to find our way to the club, and up the stairs into total darkness. Honestly, it was really DARK in there. Have I been away from clubs that long? Last time I checked, they would usually at least light the stairs so you don't trip up - which is always more embarrassing that falling down. Between that and my uncomfortable shoes, I wasn't sure if I would make it in one piece.
It took about 25 minutes before we actually hit the dance floor - and from there, I actually had FUN. Can you believe it? I WAS HAVING FUN!!!! I think it had a lot to do with the fact that we were celebrating a birthday, rather than an impending marriage. And also I think because this was a smaller club so there weren't a gazillion people with twice as many eyeballs floating around me. And maybe also because they were handing out free drinks. :)
I thought about my singleness about 4 times that entire night. I wished for a guy to hit on me maybe about 6 times. I sat down about 5 times due to my immensely uncomfortable shoes. (How did I get married in them?) And I felt like a giant tub of lard only about twice. So I think that's a marked improvement from how I felt at the bachelorette party.
Happy 30th Birthday DT - you rocked the dance floor, and the speakers. You have absolutely nothing to worry about.

No comments:
Post a Comment