Thursday, January 03, 2008

To file, or not to file?

Happy New Year folks! I think 2008 is gonna be GREAT! Well, it will be great once I get a divorce certificate from the Ontario Superior Court of Justice.

Next week I would have celebrated my second wedding anniversary. Instead, I will be a week away from being able to file for divorce. I can file at the 6 month mark, and it will be finalized within the next 6 months.

Looking back, I am still amazed that I've actually come this far. I've said it before, but I'll say it again. If it weren't for the anti-depressants and the time off work, I would have certainly killed myself.

So I have a dilemma now. Do I file, or do I wait for Simon to file? Let's look reasons for why I should file, versus why he should file.

Why I should file
- I won't be tied to him anymore
- I know it will be done accurately and in a timely manner
- I have the money to do it (roughly $500 in total to file)

Why he should file
- It will be the only responsible thing he's done in the entire marriage
- I want him to have to deal with the inconvenience of standing in line at the court house
- I paid for the trip to Vegas to get married, he should pay for the divorce
- It's his fucking fault we're separated

And here's one big reason why I shouldn't file - he won't be able to marry anyone else as long as he's still married to me. And if that saves one woman from suffering the misery that I suffered, I think it's worth it to sit on it and wait.

However, it is the new year and I want to do positive things for myself. I think filing for divorce would be a positive step. I've already listed my engagement ring on Ebay. I plan on using the money I get from the sale to go towards buying a nice 42" LCD TV.

I've added a poll to this page with regards to my dilemma. Feel free to add your two cents. I need all the help I can get with this one.

No comments: