I have amazing friends. I have always taken pride in surrounding myself with awesome people. Saturday night was a perfect illustration of what I've always known. MY FRIENDS ARE AMAZING!
Just after kicking Simon out, my friend Amy decided she wanted to throw me a party to make me feel better about everything. I said sure, let's do something in October. I figured if between July and October I wasn't feeling any better about things, I would definitely need something to help me out of my misery.
I'd pretty much forgotten about that until a couple weeks ago when Amy emailed me to make sure I was still available on Oct. 27th.
Saturday rolled around and I had been given instructions to wear pink and be at my friend Tracy's house for 4pm.
When the door opened, I found Tracy's living room transformed into a girlie girl's dreamland! Pink everywhere, balloons, streamers, food, candy, trinkets and a throne for me!! :) Amy and Tracy crowned me Bachelorette for the evening, complete with crown, sash and wand. And the best part of my outfit was a t-shirt with "I'm NOT with stupid ANYMORE" emblazoned across the front!!!
They sat me on my throne and told me that a surprise was about to reveal itself. Music started to play and I looked around the room wondering what was in store. I asked them "Will I be scared?" They laughed and assured me that I would be just fine. I closed my eyes for a moment and prayed they didn't get me a stripper.
Suddenly, a gorgeous woman in a fancy purple two piece outfit appeared from the basement and began dancing. A BELLY DANCER!!!! WHOOO HOOOO!!! She was so beautiful and fluid that I was completely stunned with a grin on my face. At the end of her dance, Amy asked me if I would like to learn some of those moves. HELL YA!
All of us were given proper belly dancing accessories - jingly wraps to go around our waist. Mine was pink (of course) and I got to keep it! :) An hour later, we were all sweating and sore from the work out. People, belly dancing is quite deceiving. It looks fluid and effortless, but in reality it takes an extreme amount of control. Our teacher commented that I have a natural talent for it.
After our belly dancer left, we order in some awesome authentic Indian food, and played a bunch of hilarious games. Prizes were handed out to winners and non-winners alike. :) Dessert came in the form of a cake, which I got to cut to the tune of "I Will Survive" sung by my girls at the top of our lungs. And then we were off to KARAOKE!!!
On the way out the door, Aimee managed to knock over a glass that was still half full of sangria, splashing it all over the carpet and couch. Luckily for us, Tracy has two kids and has the entire place Scotch guarded. Spill clean up took about 5 minutes. Then on my way out the door, somehow my bag reached around from the right side of me, hooking on to the lamp to the left of me and brought it down to smash all over the floor. At this point, I think Tracy was going to smash her head against a wall. Lamp clean up - another 6 minutes.
Once we got to karaoke, we took over the joint! We were loud and fun and feathered in boas and sparkling in tiaras. The whole place was wondering who was getting married, as it quite looked like a hen party. Then we started singing ball busting songs. I chose "Goodbye Earl" by the Dixie Chicks to warm up. A few women stopped by our table and asked what the party was all about. I proudly proclaimed "to celebrate my divorce"!! I got high fives, congratulations and "You go girl!" from pretty much everyone at the bar.
There was a table of cute boys nearby and my friend Kelly sent over a beer to the one I thought was cutest. She told the waitress to tell the cutie that the beer was in fact from me. On my way up to sing another song, he stopped me and thanked me for the beer. I also managed to snag a picture of him kissing me on the cheek. :)
That whole night was absolutely perfect in every way...except for the lamp smashing. :) Here is the email I sent to my girls the next day to thank them for a magical night.
"To my dear sweet girlfriends,
Last night was a truly wonderful surprise. It was a perfect night with all my favourite things! Pink, tiaras, food, dancing, breaking shit (sorry Tracy!), and of course karaoke!!!
It has been a very long time since I have had a genuine smile on my face. I couldn't stop smiling last night and it was because of the love you all surrounded me with. All of you have played a very important and meaningful part in my healing process. I want to thank you all from the bottom of my heart for giving me unconditional love.
A special thanks to my divorce twin. The Goddess made it so we would have each other to lean on during this time. Thanks for coming out last night, I know it was past your bedtime. :)
An extra special thanks to Tracy for allowing us to invade her home and making a mess. You are a true blue friend. Tracy has been a sort of Mom to me, even though she's 3 years younger! Whenever I needed to hear gentle and caring motherly advice, Tracy was right there for me. And whenever I needed a hug, Tracy would give me the warmest and best ones. She's been there through all of it and I can't thank her enough.
And a super duper extra humongous thank you to Amy for deciding to do this for me. Amy was the one who let me cry on her couch the Monday after I kicked SpEd out, after having told my boss at work and leaving early because I couldn't stop crying. And she has spent endless hours since then, on the phone listening to me bawl and bawl. I can't thank her enough for the support she gave me during those first few weeks. Without her, I probably would have jumped off my balcony. Thank you Amy for all the extremely lovely details you put together. All of it was noticed and appreciated. The games were so much fun! The surprise belly dancing was AWESOME! You know me and the things that make me smile, and you put them all together in one room for one amazingly special night.
I feel reborn. You have all ushered me into the new chapter in my life. And I go forward knowing that I will be okay. And even when I'm not, I know I have all of you backing me up. It gives me hope and peace. I hope one day I will be able to repay all of you. THANK YOU!!!!!"
Thanks again to Amy, Tracy, Kelly, Fahrin, Marie, Darcy, Aimee, & Renee. This couldn't have come at a more perfect time. I am ready to get back to my life and back into sharing happy times with my friends.
Monday, October 29, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment