Friday, September 14, 2007

Seconds

Just when you think you know someone, you find out there is way more underneath than you could have ever imagined.

I am finding this to be more and more true as I get the opportunity to hash out my feelings with my friends and family.

I have been stunned twice this week, by revelations that people I know who are in marriages of 20+ years have in fact been married once before.

It's not like I don't know people who are on their second marriage. I know quite a few, and they have been incredibly supportive and vocal about the fact that I did the right thing, and I WILL BE OKAY. (Caps are for my benefit.) However, these two particular cases revealed themselves to me in moments where I didn't even realize how desperate I was for some hope.

Both of these people are in incredibly stable, loving, productive and happy marriages. And both of these people went through a short-lived first marriage. It really blew my mind because had they not told me, I would have never in a million years guessed they were on their second.

I am starting to feel hopeful. I am starting to feel a teeny bit better about all of this. I can see a pinpoint of light at the end of this really long tunnel I am traversing. I am carrying so much with me, but I am slowly shedding it and leaving it behind. And these two people provided me with a moment of light where I could see hope.

No comments: